Tuesday 12 June 2012

24/f/Toronto

The trouble with blogs, or rather, my trouble with blogs, is that they're fun to think about (and I do think about it, frequently, because I have so many things I want to say into the grand empty theatre of the internet), and I've had many friends encourage me to write one, but actually getting down to creating one really bores me. 


Because I don't like introductions. I love the idea of having an established blog, but I'm less enthused about writing an introductory post (which is starting to feel like a cover letter), picking a blog title (my fault, because my standards for titles are so ridiculously high that a good title must a) state what this blog is about, b) do so in an amusing, pithy way, and c) maybe reference something I like), and basically that involves me making a statement of "this is who I am, this is what I'm about" to a group of strangers.


But... I also really like the idea of doing it. I've been fascinated by keeping a diary since before I knew what diaries were even called (I called them "lock books"). Back then I was obsessed with the idea of having a book that only I can open, with words only I can read or write. I wanted to have secrets, and I wanted to have control over those secrets. Now the idea has evolved into something more complicated: I still want secrets, but more than that I want opinions and I want to share and discuss them with people I've never met and maybe will never meet. I want to share parts of myself, while still feeling in control of the image I'm projecting. I probably have a better chance of doing that with words on a screen than I ever did as a ridiculous person with a face and a body who gestures and spits when she talks sometimes.


I also really want to work on my writing because holy goddamn is it rusty. Look at all of those awkward sentences up there. 


So here's my compromise: I'm gonna write this introduction and then I'm going to pretend I've been writing this blog for at least a year and a half. I'm going to tell myself that I am established no really you guys and there are absolutely people in the audience, I just can't see or hear them because I'm way too caught up in the monologue.


But first, I am:


- way too intensely into food/comics/music/stories
- part of the fearsome third wave of feminism
- president of the wake up club
- here to party


And this blog is about:


- all of the things I'm way too into
- also feminism


I'm gonna go eat tacos tonight (a fool's errand in Toronto but fuck it) and maybe I will write some words about that later? I may also write about how great Justice League: Generation Lost was (so fucking good you guys).

No comments:

Post a Comment